Nielsen's ra(n)tings

Politics, guns, homeschooling for the gifted, scuba, hunting, farming and somewhat coherent occasional ranting from your average Buckeye State journalist/dad/farmer/actor.

Thursday, November 23, 2006

Iron Chef Rantmeister!

I’ve been cooking since 7 a.m…doing the Thanksgiving Iron Chef
thing.

Accomplished so far:
*Two pumpkin pies…includes homemade crust and filling.
*One banana bread
*Turkey cooking
*Home-made rolls rising.
*Potatoes for mashing ready to be cooked.
*Ingredients for Lobster Stuffing prepared, including the baking of a Texas-style cornbread for use as part of the stuffing base.

I’d never heard of Lobster Stuffing until Bobby Flay prepared such a dish on Iron Chef of Food Network last week. Doc-wife saw the episode and requested the dish…never mind that I have no idea how he made it and there are no recipes to be had on the internet. Being the dutiful husband that I am, I’m pushing ahead.

My version is going to be sort of like a crab cake…with a cornbread base and leaning heavily on multi-colored bell peppers, red onion, butter and garlic for flavor. I’ll post the full recipe if it turns out to be edible.

In a related note: While looking for lobster at the local Wal Mart, I saw (and subsequently bought) something called “squat lobster chunks” for the dish. Talk about a catchy name! I Googled them and found they’re not really a lobster, but more like a hermit crab…but can be substituted in lobster dishes.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home