Nielsen's ra(n)tings

Politics, guns, homeschooling for the gifted, scuba, hunting, farming and somewhat coherent occasional ranting from your average Buckeye State journalist/dad/farmer/actor.

Monday, November 20, 2006

That time again...

My 2005 mount

This is the mount from last year's deer, taken during the Ohio gun season which happens the week after Thanksgiving. I thought this three-horned deer (look closely) was unusual.
My son has shown quite a bit of interest in deer hunting this year, getting his first opportunity at an Ohio whitetail last night during the two-day early youth season. We got to our stands about 4 p.m., settled in and a pair of nice young does came out less than 20 minuts later. I alerted my son, then sat back and watched from my tree about 20 feet away as he remained frozen as the two deer walked down the trail to our stands, stopped at about 15 yards for a couple minutes, looked us over and then ambled off. He never even put the gun to his shoulder.
I just had to laugh...and I did.
When we were heading back up to the house, I asked what lesson he learned. He said "be ready." He talked me into letting him skip school for the opening day of the regular gun season, too. Hopefully, he'll be able to apply his experience a week from today at his grandfather's nearby farm when Ohio's regular gun season opens.
******
In a related note...This has been a weird year for me. I have passed up shots on several 8-point deer, but have seen precious few does within shooting range. Last week, I saw a young 8 point for the fourth time...he looks like a healthy 1-1/2-year-old 6 point until you notice that he's got double browtines that curve downward on each side. I want to see him in a couple years...should be cool.Posted by Picasa

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home