Nielsen's ra(n)tings

Politics, guns, homeschooling for the gifted, scuba, hunting, farming and somewhat coherent occasional ranting from your average Buckeye State journalist/dad/farmer/actor.

Sunday, February 18, 2007

Zumbo kicks hornet nest

The gun aficionados internet sites are all abuzz this afternoon after Outdoor Life writer Jim Zumbo checked his brain at the door and declared that AKs, ARs and the host of other military styled weapons have no place in hunting.

His stirred up a shitstorm. The last I looked, the original article had over 2,600 comments (and the counter had quit clicking) and comments on his lame-ass apology, posted a little while ago, was zooming past 700.

From his original post:

“I call them "assault" rifles, which may upset some people. Excuse me, maybe I'm a traditionalist, but I see no place for these weapons among our hunting fraternity. I'll go so far as to call them "terrorist" rifles. They tell me that some companies are producing assault rifles that are "tackdrivers."

Sorry, folks, in my humble opinion, these things have no place in hunting. We don't need to be lumped into the group of people who terrorize the world with them, which is an obvious concern. I've always been comfortable with the statement that hunters don't use assault rifles. We've always been proud of our "sporting firearms."

This really has me concerned. As hunters, we don't need the image of walking around the woods carrying one of these weapons. To most of the public, an assault rifle is a terrifying thing. Let's divorce ourselves from them. I say game departments should ban them from the prairies and woods. (emphasis added)”

I guess I’m a terrorist, since I’ve used these terrorist weapons, right Jim? You know what else, Jim? Police departments get calls all the time from people who are terrified about teenagers carrying evil black BB guns into the woods…I guess they have no place either, huh? Some people just hate guns, Jim, and the sight of any gun is cause for alarm…and spouting your own ignorance about the utility of the Brady-demonized “assault rifles” from the bully pulpit is inexcusable.

Zumbo’s unfortunate comments are already being used as ammunition (how’s that for irony?) by the Brady Campaign, which is crowing that “Even Outdoor Life’s Top Gun Writer Thinks Assault Weapons Should Be Banned.”

That someone who makes his living writing for the gun lovers and sportsmen across the country could be so ignorant is mind-boggling. That he could write these things and then offer up a cover-his-ass apology saying “I’m your friend, really,” and “I talked to Ted Nugent and he’s in the NRA, so it’s okay” is insulting. If they have any hope of minimizing the fallout from this colossal poochscrew, Outdoor Life needs to fire him (not say “we don’t agree with him, but hey, it’s the same ole Jim”) NOW. Any sponsors he has would also be well-advised to drop him like a hot potato, because this one hit a nerve and the gun community is not going to forgive and forget anytime soon. Anyone who wants to “stand by their man” should be prepared to suffer the penalties of guilt by association.

Saying “I Was Wrong. BIG TIME” just ain’t gonna cut it, Jimbo.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home