Nielsen's ra(n)tings

Politics, guns, homeschooling for the gifted, scuba, hunting, farming and somewhat coherent occasional ranting from your average Buckeye State journalist/dad/farmer/actor.

Thursday, December 21, 2006

A near shutout

This has officially become my worst deer hunting season in at least 15 years.

We have ONE deer in the freezer, a 7-point taken during archery season. Results of gun season? Zip. Zero. Nada. Heck, I didn’t even SEE a deer for the first five days of the week-long season. The fresh tracks were everywhere by the thousands, it was just the deer that were absent this year during hunting hours. I blame the warm weather and lack of snow for keeping the deer nocturnal and sluggish.

Of course, this year during archery season I saw tons of deer…more bucks than I’ve ever seen. I passed up several easy shots on bucks (youngish 8-points, forks and spikes) and young does while in the woods with my bow.

The just-completed extra weekend of gun season also did me no good. I’m down to muzzleloader season now and the remaining month of archery season…brrrr!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home