Nielsen's ra(n)tings

Politics, guns, homeschooling for the gifted, scuba, hunting, farming and somewhat coherent occasional ranting from your average Buckeye State journalist/dad/farmer/actor.

Friday, September 08, 2006

Channeling Camelot

I feel like I’m in the parental version of Camelot right now.

“Don’t let it be forgot,
That once there was a spot
For happily ever-aftering
That was known as Camelot"

*From the musical

My daughter’s doing very well in her transition to middle school, my son appears to be doing well and has developed a monstrous appetite for reading…he’s read three full-length sci-fi/fantasy novels in the last week…and our exchange student appears to be coming out from her shell more and interacting in new ways with the family.

It’s Camelot, pure and simple.

I must admit, though…I’m waiting for the other shoe to fall. You know, I have always thought I came from a Pollyanna/Horatio Alger/glass is half full kind of mindset. There’s got to be a pony under all that horsecrap, right? And I’ve certainly shoveled enough horsecrap to know.

I’m ready for adversity. I’m just not ready to relax and enjoy success…yet.

My daughter-who-will-be-the-death-of-me, age 11, has As in all her classes (as per usual), but has been doing homework without complaint and has been dressing to the 9s in a style which garners parental approval. Aside from a couple minor Type A personality squabbles with our Russian exchange student, her behavior’s been exemplary.

Son and heir, 13, read Piers Anthony’s “Juxtaposition” and “Out of Phaze” during the early part of the week and pretty much polished off Jennifer Roberson’s “Sword Dancer” yesterday. The books, part of multi-book series’ by the authors, are among my favorites, though I think I was older when I read them. Over the last couple weeks, he also polished off at least four of Terry Brooks’ Shannara books – he’s approaching my reading pace.

It’s a wonderful, and excruciating, thing to watch as your children develop. You can go from bleak despair to boundless joy in days, hours or even minutes. One minute you’re convinced the state will bear the burden of your child for the rest of his/her miserable life (either in prison or an institution), and the next minute you’re in awe of your child’s brilliance, thanking providence that such a boon was delivered to mankind.

So, for the time being, parental optimism holds sway at the Rantmeister’s hacienda.

“For one brief shining moment…”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home