Nielsen's ra(n)tings

Politics, guns, homeschooling for the gifted, scuba, hunting, farming and somewhat coherent occasional ranting from your average Buckeye State journalist/dad/farmer/actor.

Friday, April 21, 2006

Woodchuck with a bow?

I just added another animal to the species I've taken with a bow...this time a woodchuck.

I've killed a lot of woodchucks with a rifle...mainly at distances greater than 100 yards. My best shot on a chuck was a 378 yard laser-ranged shot off my back deck in West Virginia with a Ruger No. 1 in 25-06. My neighbor was watching with binoculars and saw Mr. Chuck go head-over-heels backward.

This was different, though.

Today's harvest was taken while walking along a drainage ditch at one of the farms my cousin's employer owns. The ditches are riddled with woodchuck and muskrat holes and they have the unpleasant habit of chewing on the new trees at the nursery. We decided to try to get some with our bows...he with Mathews, me with my new Hoyt Trykon. We saw a few within rifle range, but were shy on ones within bow range while walking each side of the drainage ditches.

I saw some movement, noticed a pointy nose in one of the holes and sent an arrow with a target point at the nose...krrruncchhh! An arrow going through a groundhog's head makes an awful noise.

We got four other shots...I came up embarrassingly short on a 40-yard shot and my cousin missed twice at 30-35 yards. He was also just short on a swimming muskrat. He had also missed two other times with his bow on earlier forays to this farm. I'm sure this fun hunt will be repeated many times over the summer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home