Nielsen's ra(n)tings

Politics, guns, homeschooling for the gifted, scuba, hunting, farming and somewhat coherent occasional ranting from your average Buckeye State journalist/dad/farmer/actor.

Monday, October 17, 2005

Just finished Eragon, Eldest

I read Christopher Paolini's "Eragon" and "Eldest" this weekend.

I very much enjoyed them. I found them to be very polished fantasy works in the tradition of the Lord of the Rings trilogy and the Sword of Shannara books. The fact they were written by a teen makes them all the more impressive. I recommend them highly. I particularly liked the depiction of the relationship between dragons and humans.

I read the critical reviews on Amazon.com after I read the books, and I have some reflections on them.

First: Who ever said that books must be wholly original to be good? There is a reason the oft-used heroic journey storyline is so popular - it works. People like to read about heroes and imagine themselves to be the foreordained savior cutting their way with bloodstained sword through legions of evil foes. Who cares that the storyline is well-used if the work is well-crafted?

I get so tired of heroes who spend too much time wrestling with their inner demons. Quit gazing at your navel and get the job done!

Second:
The condescension among the oh-so-learned reviewers at Amazon was cloying. I don't care if Paolini is 17 or 57, a good book is a good book and should be acknowleged as being so.

Third: When the hell is the third book due out?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home