Nielsen's ra(n)tings

Politics, guns, homeschooling for the gifted, scuba, hunting, farming and somewhat coherent occasional ranting from your average Buckeye State journalist/dad/farmer/actor.

Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Ohio "carry" very awkward

I have a Concealed Carry Permit from the State of Ohio.

I took the 13-hour course, aced my test and drilled nice tight groups through the targets to demonstrate my gun handling skills. I also passed a thorough background check including fingerprints before being granted the permit.

I also had a concealed weapons permit from the State of West Virginia when I resided there. Eight-hour class, no range time, same background check.

So why did I carry so much more often in West Virginia than I do in Ohio? The "plain sight" vehicle carry provision in Ohio's carry law makes carrying a weapon a chancy and onerous chore. The plain sight requirement was included in the bill at the insistence of the Ohio State Highway Patrol, over the objections of other law enforcement groups, and basically says that while in a car, the weapon must be plainly visible. The term "plainly visible" is not defined and presumably means whatever each district attorney and arresting officer decide it means. It also says the weapon must be on the permit holder's person (another plain sight conflict) or locked in a container also in plain sight or locked (not placed) in an onboard glove box or other storage bin.

I don't know what "plainly visible" means and I'm unwilling to be arrested for a difference in interpretation. Likewise, I'm unwilling to leave my weapon locked in a plainly visible storage container in the vehicle while it's not on my person. I'm also loathe to keep moving the carry gun from an open carry to concealed carry position every time I enter or exit the car. The OSHP was crazy to insist on this provision and our weak-kneed RINO Governor Bob Taft deserves a long prison term with a cellmate named Romeo for insisting it be included in the law.

Carry holders are already required to tell officers during traffic stops if they are carrying a weapon. Despite the fact that permit holders are among the most law-abiding citizens in the state, and research shows they DO NOT get into altercations with the police, the OSHP insists on treating them like criminals. At the same time, they are ignoring the fact that criminals pay no attention to these rules (hint: that's why they're criminals.)

There are some stirrings in the statehouse aimed at fixing the problems created by the OSHP and Taft. Hopefully, they'll get this straightened out before someone goes to jail because an overzealous cop and prosecutor decide to use the "plain sight" requirement as justification for pursuing a vendetta against permit holders.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home